June 21st – Manto de Guadalupe Mission to Haiti Day 1

June 21st – Manto de Guadalupe Mission to Haiti Day 1

About 4:30 am – We got up to get ready and go to the airport to catch our flight to Port Au Prince

About 5:30 am – We got to the airport and started checking-in.

About 5:45 am – The issues started from here on… the airline attendant at the counter told one of the missionaries that the 5 boxes she  brought we couldnt take because the airline didnt accept boxes as luggage. Then we were told to hurry up because everyone needed to be checked-in and be at the gate by 6:20 am. We were like 15 missionaries trying to check in at the same time!!

We were trying to figure out what we needed to do to take the boxes, they told us the only way we could take the content of the boxes was to take EVERYTHING out of the boxes and put them in some type of luggage (they sent Miriam the missionary who brought the boxes from Mexico City to buy bags at a store near by inside the airport).

Here you can imagine how tense and stress out we got, we didnt even leave Miami and we had “issues” to leave to Haiti!!!.

Miriam had the boxe filled with evangelization materials, t-shirts and toys for about 200 kids was getting a little stressed out. Eduardo, Ricardo and me werent going to leave her alone, so we checked-in as fast as we could and try to help out to speed up the process because they were telling us the flight would leave us if we weren’t by the gate by 6:20 am (minutes were passing by seem so quickly).

But God knows this was such an important trip to bring His love to the people from Haiti that He touch the hearts of one of the managers. Eduardo had gone after checking in to buy the luggage to empty the boxes and put them in the luggage when the manager told him, “Return the luggage and get ur money back, Im going to let u take the 5 boxes just the way they are”

We were in awwwww!! That had to be the hand of God working in this man’s heart!

Miriam didnt hear that we didnt need the luggage and she too had gone to buy it, when we told her to return it and get her $100 dollars she was paying for the luggage bag, it was the same Eduardo was getting, we got all so happy!!!!

After this, the flight attendants were very nice to us, they even checked my list of missionaries to make sure each one in the list was already checked-in. We got confirmation and left to the gate very happy thinking the big hick up was passed… so we thought…

About 6:30 am – We finally met all the missionaries by the gate, after a few minutes we started to board when 2 of the missionaries (Yara and Jennifer) got to the gate, they found themselves with the news that they didnt have a ticket to get in the airplane!

They had received at ticket counter a pass to get in, but with no seats assigned to them and they didnt tell them!

The airline had overbooked the flight, Yara and Jennifer had bought their tickets with weeks in advance, but yet they got no seats… but the odd thing was… there were 2 seats empty in the airplane!!!

About 7 am – For those who know me I wasnt going to stay quiet. I started asking the flight attendants why they werent let in if they had seats, I explained we were a group of 22 missionaries going to Haiti in a mission, Eduardo also tried to explain, Carlos another missionary also tried… nothing worked… they treated us badly and at the end they didnt let them in 😦 We told them we had to flight together because of the mission, transportation, in Haiti, safety in Port Au Prince, etc… nothing worked.

Then I called Yara and Jennifer and told them that as soon as we got to Port Au Prince we were going to figure out how to get them, not to worry.

We left Miami without 2 missionaries… we had just started the mission and we had this!? Of course, we knew the fruits were HUGE for the evil one to try to stop us… but nothing was going to be on our way… I started praying for them in the airplane.

8:05 am – We got to Port Au Prince and got welcomed by a band playing right before getting into the bus to take us to Immigration and the luggage claim area.

We were there waiting for about 1 hour just to get thru… we got our luggage and then we found out ALL of the boxes Miriam brought were broken and many of the things inside came out, the boxes were a total mess! Some missionaries had to help her to get tape and get them sealed some how so that we could take them, oh boy it was a mission on its own to bring those boxes!!!

We spent about another hour and a half to find our contact in Haiti (the transportation who was going to take us to the orphanage where we would be staying).

What impressed me most was how Haitians in Port Au Prince take ownership of the travelers. For instance, once u speak to one of the people there who say would help u to take ur luggage and another Haitian tries to speak to u, they start arguing and almost fighting to defend the fact they spoke to u first, it is insane and a little scary to witness that… plus everyone in your path to the car asked for money, I kept holding my cheap purse (one needs to bring very plain stuff there to not get much more attention) and told a few missionaries to hold on tie to their belongings.

About 10:30 am – Father Guerra finally found his contact in Haiti (they very people from the orphanage) who were going to take us to the village we were going to work on.

Funny note, the distance between the waiting area to where the truck waiting for us was located was about 50 feet, most missionaries carried most of their luggage and when we got to the truck, just because these people put our luggage inside the truck they were charging us $50 dollars! We were like what?? We carried our own luggage!  We were thinking to give the 2 men $10-$15 dollars, but $50!!?? And when I tried to speak to Father Guerra about it, they would block me and say shhhh, they got Father Guerra in a corner and I was telling missionaries to go and help him, I didnt know if they were going to hurt him, it was scary…. We saw a lot of violence there and they werent very friendly, more aggressive than friendly I would say.

About 11 am – Finally we got to in the truck and went to get a drink while we waited for the 2 missing missionaries to get to Port Au Prince (they took the next flight leaving almost 2 hrs after we left) so by the time we got the luggage and everything they were arriving already.

About 12 pm – We picked up the missionaries and went off on our way to cross the city to go to the village, not before taking lots of pictures of the most destroyed city i have ever seen… We saw many people living in the streets, the smell of Port Au Prince is so bad, you cant help but to think, what is the smell has in it? dead people, human defecate, garbage, remains of sorts, what? I guess a bit of everything… is very very very sad to see the city in ruins… all of it, no one spot we passed by was intact from the earthquake. When we passed by the cathedral which was broken in half by the earthquake and the only piece standing strong intact was the HUGE crucifix next to the cathedral. This was the same cathedral where the Bishop of Haiti got killed in the earthquake along with about 50 seminarist… it was incredible to watch that huge amazing cathedral in ruins…

But what caught our attention was a group of people (maybe like 40 people who included women, men and children) who were next to the cathedral singing, dancing in a circle… we didnt understand what they were saying, I thought for a minute, could this be a group of santeros or some sort of group doing a ritual of some sort… but as we got closer to them… we saw they carrying their rosaries in the chest and crucifixs… they were happy and praising God!!!! They had nothing, they were living right next to the cathedral and they had nothing… and yet they were praising God!!! That scene will stay in my heart for the rest of my life! I have NEVER seen people in such a misery, but yet they had God in their hearts, they believed, they trusted God and they were there, next to his crucifix praising Him, singing to Him, Loving Him!! What an example and lesson of Love they showed us!!

They were some boys, about 20 yrs old serving as the leaders of the songs and preaching… they were so amazingly into their prayers and songs… one couldnt help but to get into it too! I wanted to join them and dance with them, pray with them… it was an incredible experience… One for sure I will NEVER forget.

On the other hand it was very very sad to see a couple of mothers with their kids in their arms… one of the babies was supposed to be 2 months old, but yet was smaller than my son Joshua when he was born… as a premature baby!!! How could a 2 month old baby be so small!!! When one of the kids was translating to us this info, we realized she didnt have food to feed him.  We wanted to help these 2 mothers, but you cant just pick and choose out of the people because we dont know how aggressive they could get with us or one another… it was a tough situation… so I went towards the back and try to figure out how much $5 dollars was worth in Haitian money, I didnt have Haitian money, or change in dollars, but I wanted to give the 2 mothers some money to help a little bit for them to feed their babies.

One of the kids that was with us from the orphanage went to give them in private the money, that way we didnt get the other people sad, jealous or anything because we didnt give them money, it was very hard to see what we saw and feel so helpless… we couldnt help every single person that we saw there… they all needed the basic… food and it was heartbreaking to realized we couldnt help all of them L

From there we passed by the Presidency home… it was in ruins, it got broken in pieces by the earthquake, it was a beautiful HUGE home, very much like the white house and totally in ruins…

About 1:30 pm we finally took off to a non-stop ride in a truck that was pretty uncomfortable to be in for all those hours (a total of about 5 hours ride) most of the roads were dirt and there were many bumps in the way, I got such a stomach ache almost the entire time, it was painful!, but I offered to God for the mission… and I felt a little better the rest of the way.

About 5:30 pm we get to the village, it was a beautiful paradise in the middle of the mountains and in the middle of nowhere!!! Because of what I saw in Port Au Prince I assumed we were going to a very very bad conditioned village and what I found was a paradise!

As soon as we got to the orphanage, we got welcome by lots of kids, they were very gentlemen and were helping some of the missionaries to get off the truck, it was so cute to see them!!

Louis the Director of the orphanage, welcomed us with a Hail Mary and told us how happy he was to see us coming to join him in his efforts to help his people.

After a brief talk we went to eat dinner (we were starving!!!!) we met the other missionary group from Regnum Christi and the Legionaries of Christ (Mission Youth), we were a total of about 40 missionaries together in the orphanage, it was awesome!!

At about 7 pm  we go ahead to have our first mass with the kids of the orphanage, the directors and some people from the town who joined us.

One of the missionaries is an opera singer and so she sang songs for the mass which made the meditation at the communion incredibly beautiful, her angelical voice got me in a state of prayer so peaceful and beautiful hard to describe with words.

Then, one of the orphan kids, (he had to be about 4 yrs old) started playing the bongos with such a rhythm I was like, what??? he was playing the clave (a salsa bit) and so I joined the kids to dance with them while he was playing, it was an incredible experience, they do everything in Haiti with music, is amazing!!!

The day was coming to an end, I went to have a meeting with Jonna, Louis, Emmanuel (they are from the orphanage), father Guerra, Eduardo and me to talk about what the missionaries and us would do, morning prayers, work sites, schedules for meals, playing time with the kids, etc. (all that planning and the weather didnt let us to do most of the things we planned), at the end we did God’s will… which is what we are always to do, but He is so funny in the way he shows us that no matter how much we may plan, His will is above our will… he is awesome!!!

About 10 pm – I went up to the room, talked to the team about our schedule, we talked for a bit, got our sleeping bag and little corner ready, got pajamas on, brushed my teeth and we went to sleep. End of the first day.

Check out some pics to illustrate what I have described in this first day 1 of the mission. Enjoy the pictures!

Manto de Guadalupe Mission to Haiti – Day 1


Junio 21 – Manto de Guadalupe Mission to Haiti Dia 1

Alrededor de las 4:30 am – Nos levantamos para prepararnos e ir al aeropuerto para tomar nuestro vuelo a Puerto Príncipe.

Acerca de las 5:30 am – Llegamos al aeropuerto y comenzó el check-in.

Acerca de 5:45 am – Los problemas comenzaron a partir de aqui … uno de los encargados de la aerolinea en el mostrador le dijo a una de los misioneras que las 5 cajas que trajo no podriamos llevarlas porque la compañía no aceptaba cajas como equipaje. Entonces se nos dijo que todos deberiamos ser facturado y estar en la puerta de las 6:20 am. Eramos como 15 misioneros tratando de registrarnos al mismo tiempo!

Estábamos tratando de averiguar lo que teníamos que hacer para sacar las cajas, nos dijeron que la única forma de poder tomar el contenido de las cajas era sacar todo de las cajas y ponerlos en algún tipo de equipaje (le dijeron a Miriam la misionera que trajó las cajas de la Ciudad de México) que comprara la bolsa de equipaje en una tienda dentro del aeropuerto).

Aquí se pueden imaginar la tension y estrés que nos dio, aún no habiamos siquiera salido de Miami y ya teniamos “problemas” para salir a Haití!.

Miriam tenía las cajas llenas de materiales evangelización, camisetas y juguetes para unos 200 niños y como comprenderan ella estaba un poco estresada. Eduardo, Ricardo y yo no la hibamos a dejarla sola, por lo que tan rápido como pudimos hicimos el check in para tratar de ayudar a acelerar el proceso porque nos dijeron que el vuelo nos dejaría si no estabamos en la puerta del avion a las 6:20 de la mañana (los minutos parecia que volaban rapidamente).

Pero Dios sabe que se trataba de un viaje tan importante, donde llevariamos su amor al pueblo de Haití que El toque los corazones de uno de los gerentes. Eduardo se había ido a comprar el equipaje para vaciar las cajas y ponerlos en el equipaje cuando el gerente le dijo: “Regresen el equipaje y que les den su dinero, los voy a dejar que pasen con las 5 cajas asi mismo” Estábamos en awwwww! Eso tenía que ser la mano de Dios obrando en el corazón de este hombre!

Miriam no habia escuchado que no necesitabamos de los equipajes y también ella se había ido a comprarlas, cuando le dijimos que regresara las bolsas y que le regresaran los 100 dólares que estaba pagando por la bolsa de equipaje, que fue el mismo Eduardo estaba poniendo, estabamos todo tan feliz!!

Después de esto, los asistentes de vuelo fueron muy amables con nosotros, incluso me revisaron la lista de misioneros para asegurarse de que cada uno en la lista estaba ya en checkaco en el avion. Una vez nos confirmaron nos fuimos a la puerta muy feliz pensando que lo peor habia pasado … así pensamos …

Cerca de las 6:30 am – Finalmente encontramos todos los misioneros por la puerta, después de unos minutos empezamos a abordar cuando 2 de los misioneros (Yara y Jennifer) llegando a la puerta del avion, se encontraron con la noticia de que no tenian un boleto para entrar en el avión!

Habían recibido en taquilla un pase para entrar a donde estaba la sala de espera, pero sin asientos asignados y nadie les habia dicho!

La aerolínea había sobrevendido el vuelo, Yara y Jennifer había comprado sus boletos con semanas de anticipación, pero sin embargo, no las dejaron entrar … pero lo curioso … habia 2 asientos vacíos en el avión!

Alrededor de 7 am – Para los que me conocen yo no era va a quedar tranquila. Empecé a preguntar a los asistentes de vuelo por qué werent dejan entrar si tenían asientos, le expliqué que éramos un grupo de 22 misioneros que hibamos a Haití en una misión, Eduardo también trató de explicar, otro misionero Carlos también intentó … nada funcionó … nos trataron mal y al final no las dejaron entrar. Les dijimos que teníamos que estar todos juntos en la misión, el transporte, en Haití, la seguridad en Puerto Principe, etc … nada funcionó.

Entonce llamé a Yara y Jennifer y les dije que tan pronto como llegaramos a Puerto Príncipe íbamos a encontrar la manera de esperarlas, que no se preocuparan.

Salimos de Miami sin dos misioneras … acabábamos de empezar la misión y teníamos esto!? Por supuesto, sabíamos que los frutos serian enormes para que el maligno tratara de pararnos … pero nada iba a detener nuestro camino … comencé a orar por ellas en el avión.

8:05 am – Llegamos a Puerto Príncipe, nos recibio una banda tocando antes de subir al autobús que nos llevaria a inmigración ya la zona de reclamación de equipajes.

Nos tardamos cerca de 1 hora sólo para pasar migracion… despues recojimos nuestro equipaje y luego nos dimos cuenta que todas las cajas de Miriam se rompieron y muchas de las cosas se salieron, las cajas eran un desastre total! Algunos misioneros tuvieron que ayudarla a conseguir cinta y sellarlas de alguna forma para poder sacarlas de alli, ohhh era una misión por si sola llevar las cajas!

Pasamos cerca de una hora y media para encontrar nuestro contacto en Haití (el transporte que se nos va llevaria al orfanato en el que nos quedaríamos).

Lo que más me impresionó fue cómo los haitianos en Puerto Príncipe tomar posesión de los viajeros. Por ejemplo, una vez que hablas con una de las personas que te dicen te ayudaran a cargar tus maletas y si por casualidad hablas con otro Haitianoel primero empiezan a discutir y casi se pelean fisicamente para defender el hecho de que habló con uno primero, es una locura y da un poco de miedo ver eso…el el camino hacia el coche todos te preguntan por dinero, me pase tomando mi bolso barato (hay que traer cosas muy claro allí para no llamar la atención mucho) y le dije a unos cuantos misioneros que cuidaran sus pertenencias.

Sobre las 10:30 horas – Padre Guerra finalmente encontró a su contacto en Haití (que era gente del orfanato) que se nos llevarian a la aldea donde íbamos a trabajar. Nota graciosa, la distancia entre la sala de espera donde el camión nos esperaba fue localizado era cerca de 50 pies, la mayoría de los misioneros llevaban su equipaje y cuando llegamos a la camioneta, sólo porque dos haitianos que nos siguieron pusieron nuestro equipaje en el interior del camión, querian que les dieramos $ 50!

Les dije que NO! que  nosotros habiamos cargado nuestro propio equipaje, habiamos pensado darles a los 2 hombres $ 10 – $ 15 dólares, pero $ 50!!?? Cuando trate de hablar con el padre Guerra al respecto, me bloqueaban y me decian shhhh, yo veia como acorralaban al Padre Guerra en una esquina y le dije a unos misioneros que fueran a ayudarle, no sabía si iban a hacerle daño o que, daba miedo… Vimos mucha violencia allí y la gente no era muy amigable, más agresivos que amables diría yo.

Alrededor de las 11 am – Por fin nos subimos a la camioneta y nos fuimos a tomar algo mientras esperábamos a las 2 misioneras que faltaban (tomaron el siguiente vuelo y llegaban 2 horas después de nosotros) para el momento en que teniamos el equipaje y todo ya estaban llegando.

Cerca de 12 pm – Recogimos a las misioneras y nos fuimos en camino cruzando la ciudad para ir a la aldea, no sin antes tomar muchas fotos de las ciudad más destruida que he visto … Vimos muchas personas que viven en las calles, el olor de Puerto Príncipe es tan malo, uno se pone a pensar que es el olor? muertos, defecacion de humanos, basura? ¿qué? Supongo que un poco de todo … es muy muy muy triste ver la ciudad en ruinas … toda la ciudad, ni un pedazo pasamos que estuviera intacto por el terremoto.

Cuando pasamos frente a la catedral, que fue partida por la mitad por el terremoto y la única pieza de pie que quedo intacta fue el enorme crucifijo junto a la catedral. Esta fue la misma catedral donde el obispo de Haití murio en el terremoto junto con cerca de 50 seminaristas… era increíble ver esa gran catedral en ruinas impresionantes…

Pero lo que nos llamó la atención fue un grupo de personas (tal vez como 40 personas que incluía a mujeres, hombres y niños) que estaban junto a la catedral cantando y bailando en un círculo…  no entendí lo que decían, pues cantaban en criollo, pensé por un minuto, ¿Podría ser esto un grupo de santeros o algún grupo que esta haciendo rituales de algún tipo?… pero a medida que nos acercamos a ellos… vi que llevaban sus rosarios en el pecho y crucifijos… estaban felices y alabando a Dios!! No tenían nada, vivían justo al lado de la catedral en la calle y no tenían nada… mas sin embargo estaban alabando a Dios! Esa escena se quedará en mi corazón por el resto de mi vida! NUNCA he visto a la gente de tal miseria, que sin embargo tienen a Dios en sus corazones, que ellos creen, confian en Dios y con esa enorme FE estaban allí, junto a su crucifijo alabándole, cantando a Él, amándolo! ¡Qué ejemplo y lección de amor que ellos nos mostraron!

Unos muchachos, como de 20 años de edad en calidad de líderes de las canciones y la predicación … eran tan increíblemente en sus oraciones y canciones… Quería unirme a ellos y bailar con ellos, rezar con ellos… fue una experiencia increíble … Una  que se que NUNCA olvidaré.

Por otra parte era muy muy triste ver a un par de madres con sus hijos en sus brazos … uno de los bebés se suponía que era de 2 meses, pero era más pequeño que mi hijo Joshua cuando nació … y eso que el nacio prematuro! ¿Cómo podría un bebé de 2 meses de edad, ser tan pequeño!? 😦

Cuando uno de los chicos estaba traduciendonos, nos dimos cuenta de que el bebe tenia hambre y la mama no tenia comida para darle de comer. Queríamos ayudar a estas 2 madres, pero no puedes simplemente seleccionar y elegir de la gente porque no sabiamos qué tan agresivos podían ser los demas contra nosotros entre sí… fue una situación difícil… así que me fui hacia atrás del camion y trate de entender cuánto serian $ 5 dólares en dinero Haitíano, no tenia dinero de Haití, o cambio en dólares, pero yo quería darle a los 2 madres algo de dinero para ayudar un poco para que puedan alimentar a sus bebés.

Uno de los chicos que vino del orfanato fue a darles el dinero en privado, de esa manera las demas personas no se pondrian triste, celosa o algo asi por no darles dinero tambien, era muy difícil ver lo que vimos y sentir esa impotencia … no pudimos ayudar a cada persona que vimos allí … todos necesitan lo basico… comer y se nos desgarraba el corazón darnos cuenta que no pudimos ayudar a todos ellos. 😦

A partir de ahí pasamos frente a la casa de la Presidencia … que estaba en ruinas, que se rompió en pedazos por el terremoto, se trataba de una enorme casa hermosa, muy parecida a la casa blanca y totalmente en ruinas …
La 1:30 pm por fin se quitó a un viaje sin escalas en un camión que era muy incómodo estar para todas esas horas (un total de aproximadamente 5 horas de paseo), la mayoría de los caminos eran de tierra y había muchos baches en A propósito, tengo un dolor de estómago casi todo el tiempo, fue doloroso!, pero he ofrecido a Dios para la misión … y me sentí un poco mejor el resto del camino.
Alrededor de las 5:30 pm se llega al pueblo, era un hermoso paraíso en medio de las montañas y en medio de la nada! Por lo que vi en Port Au Prince supuse que íbamos a un pueblo acondicionado muy muy malo y lo que encontré fue un paraíso!
Tan pronto como llegamos al orfanato, llegamos bienvenida por muchos niños, eran muy caballeros y estaban ayudando a algunos de los misioneros a bajar del camión, que era tan lindo verlos!
Luis el director del orfanato, nos recibió con un Ave María y nos dijo lo feliz que era de vernos venir a reunirse con él en sus esfuerzos por ayudar a su pueblo.
Después de una breve charla nos fuimos a cenar (nos moríamos de hambre !!!!) nos encontramos con el otro grupo misionero de Regnum Christi y los Legionarios de Cristo (Misión de la Juventud), que fueron un total de alrededor de 40 misioneros juntos en el orfanato, fue increíble!
A eso de las 7 pm visto bueno a tener nuestra primera misa con los niños del orfanato, los directores y algunas personas del pueblo que se unió a nosotros.
Uno de los misioneros es una cantante de ópera y cantar cantos para la misa que hizo que la meditación en la comunión de increíble belleza, su voz angelical me tiene en un estado de oración tan hermosa y tranquila difícil de describir con palabras.
Entonces, uno de los niños huérfanos, (tenía que estar cerca de 4 años) comenzó a tocar los bongos con un ritmo que me gusta, lo que??? ya estaba tocando la clave (un poco de salsa) y así me uní a los niños a bailar con ellos mientras él estaba jugando, fue una experiencia increíble, lo hacen todo en Haití con la música, es increíble!
El día estaba llegando a su fin, fui a una reunión con Jonna, Luis, Emmanuel (son del orfanato), el padre de Guerra, Eduardo y yo para hablar de lo que los misioneros y nos haría, oraciones de la mañana, los lugares de trabajo , los horarios para las comidas, el tiempo de juego con los niños, etc (todo lo que la planificación y el tiempo aún no ha vamos a hacer la mayor parte de las cosas que planeamos), al final hemos hecho la voluntad de Dios … que es lo que estamos siempre a hacer, pero Él es tan gracioso en la forma en que nos muestra que no importa lo mucho que puede planear, Su voluntad está por encima de nuestra voluntad … es impresionante!
Cerca de 10 pm – Me acerqué a la habitación, habló con el equipo acerca de nuestro programa, hablamos un poco, tiene nuestra bolsa de dormir y listo pequeño rincón, se puso el pijama, me lavé los dientes y nos fuimos a dormir. Fin del primer día.
Echa un vistazo a algunas fotos para ilustrar lo que he descrito en este primer día de la misión. Disfruta las fotos!

Veronica singing on our way to the orphanage in the truck ride

Haitian people praising God next to the cathedral in Port Au Prince

Last minute of the truck ride before getting to the orphanage after 7 hours of a bumpy ride!

Louis Director of the orphanage, the greatest Haitian man I have ever met!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: